Friday, June 1, 2007

Hard work and Self Reliance vs Entitlement

Since I don't have much progress to report (or more importantly pictures of progress) let me take a minute to rant. Last night I was putting the kids to bed when the doorbell rings. Standing on my porch is a guy that begins to give me this spiel about working to become a mentor and being all about the positive, working hard to stay out of trouble, blah, blah, blah. At first I didn't know what the hell he was talking about about so I figured it was one of those jobs for student things. I tell him I didn't need any work done around the house. Well apparently I insulted him. He wasn't there looking for a job. He's selling magazines. OK, so I don't want any magazines. "Listen Mr. Rob you need magazines like I need a tan" he says. OK, so you're not here for a job and you really don't want to sell me a magazine, you just want my money... Gotcha. I politely tell him I'm not interested and he gets down right belligerent. "Can I ask why don't you want to help me?", "thanks for being no help at all, etc, etc". Oh yeah, he's all about the positive. Dude, get the hell off my porch already. He got pissed off because he feels entitled. Entitled to a piece of my pie apparently. Listen, I wasn't brought up deprived. My parents did an excellent job raising us and preparing us for adulthood. But I wasn't given anything either. I had to work my way through night school starting out in a mail room. Didn't graduate until I hit 30. So yeah I have a sense of entitlement too. I'm entitled to that which I have earned. Aside from that I can't stand solicitors. It's an invasion of privacy. If Jesus himself rang my doorbell and offered me salvation I'd turn him down.

On the other side of the coin you have this guy. Felipe Pina wins 68 million bucks and what does he plan on doing? Finishing the repair jobs he has left in his shop. I tip my hat to this guy. He comes from a time where hard work and your word means something. This is exactly the type of man I hired to build my bar. Lyle Delfosse of Delfosse Woodcraft. His says each piece he makes has his name on it. And his name means a great deal to him. He builds them like they were his own. There have been times when he's changed the scope of the project and it's cost me a bit more money but he makes desicions because to him they are the right thing to do not because they increase his bottom line. Several times he's came to me and added something before I had even asked about it. A drawer here, a lazy susan there. And other things that I didn't even know I wanted. Upper cabinet space, swing doors into the bar, etc. I just cannot say enough good things about my interations with Lyle. His an old world craftsman. There. I knew I'd get back on topic eventually....

No comments: